British & Irish Lions Tour Manager, Gerald Davies, today announced the Lions team for the second match of the 2009 tour of South Africa, which includes Ugo Monye in the starting line-up.
The selected team will play the Golden Lions in Johannesburg and will be led by Irish captain Brian O'Driscoll.
Davies said, "The starting XV to play the Golden Lions contains five players making their British & Irish Lions debuts while a further six debutants are on the bench. Everyone is also delighted that Brian O'Driscoll the Irish Grand Slam skipper will lead the team against the Golden Lions."
Commenting on the team selection Head Coach Ian McGeechan said, "The starting XV is very different to the one that played against the Royal XV on Saturday. There are only three players backing up from that match but six of the replacements have been promoted to Wednesday's starting XV for the Golden Lions match. This is in line with our intention that all players will play a full match in the first three matches on tour."
"The team has a very solid core with Brian O'Driscoll, Stephen Jones, David Wallace, Phil Vickery and Gethin Jenkins who are all very experienced internationals and previous Lions tourists."
"David Wallace now has the opportunity to play at openside flanker following his selection at No.8 against the Royal XV. Stephen Jones who was a replacement in the last match, but did not get a run, links up with his Welsh team-mate and scrumhalf Mike Phillips giving the team an experienced halfback combination."
"The team has trained well. We have worked on several key areas following the first match which has given us a base from which to keep developing our game," added McGeechan.
British & Irish Lions Team versus Golden Lions on Wednesday 3rd June
15. Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland)
14. Tommy Bowe (Ospreys/Ireland)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster/Ireland)
12. Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues/Wales) 11. Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England) 10. Stephen Jones (Scarlets/Wales)
9. Mike Phillips (Ospreys/Wales)
8. Jamie Heaslip (Leinster/Ireland)
7. David Wallace (Munster/Ireland)
6. Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers/England)
5. Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys/Wales)
4. Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland)
3. Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England)
2. Lee Mears (Bath/England)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
16. Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland)
17. Euan Murray (Northampton Saints/Scotland)
18. Stephen Ferris (Ulster/Ireland)
19. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
20. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
21. James Hook (Ospreys/Wales)
22. Shane Williams (Ospreys/Wales)
During week commencing 22nd April Harlequins will launch an innovative, new Membership Scheme which will replace the existing Season Ticket Holder Programme. Further details of the scheme will be announced in due course.