Match Reports

Harlequins lose out to ruthless Wasps

Sunday, 2nd October 2016 @ 17:05

Tries from Ashley Johnson, Guy Thompson, Dan Robson, Elliot Daly, Christian Wade, Kyle Eastmond and Josh Bassett helped Dai Young's side to a dominating 47-18 win over Harlequins. 

Despite first half tries from Jamie Roberts and James Chisholm, Harlequins couldn't mount a second half fightback and came out second best.

The in-form team in the league started the brightest in front of their home crowd. After Harlequins were penalised at the breakdown, Danny Cipriani sent a penalty deep into the corner.

From the resulting line out the Wasps pack formed a rolling maul which allowed hooker Johnson to scramble over the whitewash. Wasps' talisman Jimmy Gopperth, however, failed to add the two extras.

Questions were then asked of Harlequins defence as Wasps' winger Wade danced through several tackles. Luckily for the visitors Wade's offload was knocked-on and they could regather from their own scrum.

The momentum then shifted Harlequins way as they enjoyed spells of possession in Wasps' half. Marland Yarde constantly hassled the Wasps defence and it was his mazy run which led to Harlequins' first try of the match.

Yarde drifted out wide to the right before offloading to Roberts who bundled over the line to square the match up. Just like Gopperth, Tim Swiel missed his first conversion attempt of the afternoon.

Despite drawing level, the match didn't remain all square for long.

From Wasps' restart they managed to win their own ball, and after several phases in the Harlequins 22, Thompson was allowed to get over the line despite Luke Wallace's attempts to tackle his fellow seven to the ground. Gopperth got his first points of the match as he made the score 12-5.

Again the pendulum swang as Harlequins were awarded a penalty in Wasps' 22. Swiel made no mistake from the boot this time and moved the Londoners to within four.

That four-point deficit didn't last and, again, within minutes Wasps moved further in front. Cipriani stabbed the ball through wide with the boot which allowed Gopperth to latch on, pop the ball inside to Robson who went over.

The conversion from Gopperth and then a penalty from Swiel left the score at 19-11. Wasps then got the ball wide to the right as Daly darted through several Harlequins tackles and secured the bonus point seven minutes before the break. 

With the half winding down and with a healthy lead established, Harlequins would close the gap again as Chisholm went over near the posts after several phases in the Wasps 22.

As the match started to develop into the look of a classic the scoreboard read 26-18 at the break.

If the first half was competitive then the second half was anything but.

Despite the final scoreline, it was the visitors who looked more dangerous coming out of the blocks for the second half. Yarde, a bright spark in the match, and Alofa Alofa carved out dangerous runs deep in Wasps half and Tim Visser looked to have scored a try but his foot was judged to have gone into touch.

As the match crept closer to the hour mark, Wasps put their foot on the gas and showed why they were the in-form team in the league.

With the ball metres out under the posts, Wasps cleverly worked it wide to the left and with men over Wade beat the tackle and went over to put daylight between the two sides.

Following a successful conversion, minutes later the home side would turn over the Londoners from a line out go through the phases and release Eastmond to get his first try of his Wasps career.

As Wasps ticked over into the 40s, Harlequins almost grabbed their third try of the match but Yarde couldn't capitalise on latching onto Winston Stanley's grubber and the home side cleared.

Young's side turned on the style to get their seventh try of the match, again working it wide to allow Bassett in five minutes from time to round off an impressive 47-18 victory.