Match Reports

Robshaw signs off in style as Harlequins beat Leicester Tigers

Sunday, 4th October 2020 @ 17:00

Chris Robshaw’s 300th and final game for Harlequins ended in style with a nerve-jangling 32-26 win over Leicester Tigers.

The excellent Joe Marchant scored twice but it was his last-ditch tackle in the dying moments on Kobus Van Wyk that sealed the win.

The visitors made their intentions known early on with James Lang putting in a big hit on Jacobus Van Wyk and Will Evans expertly securing an early turnover.

George Head thought he’d marked his first start with a try when he took Alex Dombrandt’s return pass from his line-out and touched down in the corner.

TV replays showed the pass to be forward and the try was disallowed.

Play switched the other end with Aaron Morris’ last-gasp tackle denying Ben Youngs when he had the try-line at his mercy.

Alex Dombrandt
But the home side did not have to wait long and took the lead in the eighth minute when Tom Youngs found himself on the end of a drive from a line-out.

Harlequins responded with an opportunistic try as Dombrandt, who scored twice against Wasps, intercepted just within his own half before sprinting through. Brett Herron’s conversion was good.

Ford hit two successive penalties to which Herron replied with one of his own to reduce Leicester’s lead to just a point.

Harlequins went ahead on the stroke of half-time when the galloping Morris passed out wide to Marchant who finished with finesse in the corner. Herron’s fine conversion confirmed an 17-11 lead at the break.

The ding-dong affair continued as Leicester retook the lead five minutes into the second half as the huge Nemani Nadolo bulldozed his way into the corner despite Marchant’s best efforts.

The increasingly influential Herron was the catalyst to Harlequins going ahead once more. Having made the initial dart through the middle, with Head supporting, Herron linked with Andre Esterhuizen who released Marchant to finish in style. Herron added the extra two points.

Joe Marchant
Herron continued to shine as Harlequins extended their lead three minutes later.

His cross-field kick found Marchant who passed inside to Esterhuizen who released the rampaging Dombrandt. From the ensuing phase Danny Care found Lang who touched down.

Ford and Herron then traded penalties to make the score 32-21.

There was a further twist when Jordan Els was shown a yellow card and Matt Scott scored to make the score 32-26.

Harlequins held firm with Premiership debutant Louis Lynagh repeatedly flooring Nadolo as the visitors gamely hung on.

But Leicester thought they had stolen it at the death when Van Wyk dived into the corner but Marchant’s desperate last-ditch tackle was enough to prevent the winger from grounding the ball.