Match Reports

Smith seals thrilling last-minute win over Wasps

Sunday, 9th May 2021 @ 19:00

Marcus Smith scored a sensational injury-time converted try to cap a stunning comeback at The Stoop.

The on-form fly-half finished off an intricate move involving fellow try-scorers James Lang and Joe Marchant to touch down and spark wild celebrations.

Smith then kicked the subsequent conversion to seal the win and take his tally to 28 points - the joint highest by a Harlequins player in the Premiership.

The 48-46 win means Harlequins, who lost Mike Brown to a red card on 44 minutes, extended the gap between themselves and fifth-placed Northampton Saints to nine points.

A frantic opening 10 minutes gave an indication of the mayhem that was to come.

After Jacob Umaga had kicked Wasps into an early lead, Smith responded by conjuring up a moment of brilliance. Spying Marchant on the touchline of the DHL Stand, the Quins 10 picked out his team-mate with a precision cross-field kick.

Joe Marchant
Marchant had plenty to do after collecting the kick, burning past full-back Rob Miller and charging through from 40 metres out. Smith added the extras.

Wasps replied with their first try five minutes later when Josh Bassett escaped down the blindside of a maul.

The visitors went 17-7 ahead shortly after when, after a messy passage of play which saw Mike Brown later yellow-carded for an intentional knock on, Paulo Odogwu careered through to score.

Back came the hosts with Smith feeding replacement Lang to touch down in the corner. Smith's kick from the touchline was exquisite.

Harlequins showed remarkable resolve to keep Wasps at bay with the courageous Jack Kenningham to the fore and winning a turnover on his own line.

Back came Wasps who extended their lead through the superb Dan Robson who twisted and turned his way over the line. Umaga's missed conversion left the score 22-14.

Harlequins conjured up a sensational finish to the half to lead 24-22.

Marcus Smith
Smith and Brown released Marchant whose sublime out-the-back offload found Brown who deftly fed Smith to charge through.

Smith converted and added a penalty with the last kick of the half, the three points a result of Green's never-say-die 60m kick chase and tackle on Umaga.

The game turned in the 44th minute.

After Luke Northmore thought he had put Harlequins further ahead after good work from Green, referee Wayne Barnes reviewed the build-up and found Brown had stamped on Tommy Taylor.

With the numerical advantage Wasps powered into a 36-24 lead with Malakai Fekitoa and Thomas Young the try scorers.

But the spirited hosts valiantly fought back and somehow retook the lead.

James Lang
First Danny Care burst over after drive from a line-out and then Alex Dombrandt dived into the corner.

True to form, Wasps responded with a fine try of their own as the brilliant Robson kicked through for Bassett to touch down.

Umaga's conversion and penalty meant the visitors had an eight-point lead with seven minutes remaining.

Smith responded with another penalty two minutes later which would have guaranteed two points, but the home side had eyes on greater rewards.

Secure your seat next season with a Harlequins Season Ticket Membership.

Memberships 980