Match Reports

Quins narrowly beaten by Worcester

Saturday, 9th November 2019 @ 15:00

A brilliant crowd were not to be dampened as they cheered Harlequins on despite a scoreless second half for Quins resulted in a 14-19 victory for Worcester Warriors.

Four minutes in, the visitors took the lead after Quins were penalised for side entry with Worcester captain Jono Lance securing a 0-3 lead.

Moments later, Marcus Smith gained brilliant ground with a super kick from the penalty, throwing Quins deep into the Warriors half. The lineout led to a beautiful offload from Quins captain for the day, James Chisholm, straight into the hands of number eight Alex Dombrandt who broke through the Worcester defence and crossed the line. 7-3 to Quins after Smith’s successful conversion.

Quins continued to highlight their hunger, and on the 13th minute Francis Saili chased down Marcus Smith’s kick and produced an outstanding tackle to knock the ball out of his opponent’s hands. James Chisholm capitalised on the loose ball, kicking it over the line and touching down. Marcus Smith added the two and Quins held a strong 14-3 lead.

The end-to-end style of play was present throughout, and the away side thought they had closed the gap again having been awarded a penalty, but Lance’s kick just went wide, and Quins retained their 11-point lead.

Worcester responded with phase after phase of rugby, with Quins withstanding well, but eventually Warriors were back on the board, adding the three from the tee with a penalty.

With the scored at 14-6, both sides piled on the pressure in the final 10 minutes of the first half and Warriors secured another three points from the penalty, seeing both teams enter the break to dry off at 14-9.

The opening 10 minutes of the second half saw both sides display strong moments in attack and defence despite the wet weather conditions causing slips and spills.

Matthew Carley, this afternoon’s referee, went to the TMO with half an hour left to review a potential high tackle on Will Evans, which was in the end deemed to be a late tackle from the Worcester player. Marcus Smith attempted to add three points from the penalty, but his kick fell two metres short.

An excellent drive from Alex Dombrandt, who made metre after metre every time he got the ball, set up a promising attack for Quins, but the weather forced the spill.

Gustard decided to freshen up the side with 25 minutes to go, seeing Lawday replace James Chisholm and there was a huge cheer from the crowd as Vereniki Goneva replaced Cadan Murley for his Club debut.

With only 13 minutes remaining, the first score of the match came from Worcester Warriors, with Jamie Shillcock touching down in the corner after relentless attacks from the visitors. An impressive kick from Jono Lance saw Worcester lead the game again, 14-16.

The next eight minutes belonged to Harlequins who showed resilience in the attack, wearing down the Warriors defence but they held on and came away with the win with a final kick of the game being a penalty.

Quins now head to France to take on Clermont Auvergne next Saturday in the European Champions Cup before our next game at The Stoop, a mouth-watering clash versus Bath in the European Champions Cup Saturday 23rd Nov. Tickets now available here.