Match Reports

Valiant Quins go down to Chiefs at The Stoop

Friday, 14th April 2017 @ 22:30

Exeter Chiefs ran in five tries at The Stoop to down Harlequins 26-39 in an exhilarating match.

Harlequins had established a 19-18 lead just under 20 minutes from the final whistle following tries from Mat Luamanu and Nick Evans.

However, Chiefs ran in three tries in 11 minutes to seal the win despite Tim Visser's final minute dot down.

In front of a sell out crowd at The Stoop, Harlequins made the perfect start when the home side went over through Luamanu following a very smart Care flat pass.

Evans would miss the kick, but Henry Slade would send over a penalty minutes later in a fast opening ten minutes.

Harlequins worked the ball excellently through the phases with some smart Joe Marler, Kyle Sinckler and Care hands in the early stages but Chiefs would score a try of their own after enjoying a long spell of possession.

Chiefs opted to go through the forwards and Dave Ewers scrambled over in the corner to put his side in front.

Despite the score, Quins kept up the pressure with Luamanu barreling through the gainline and Visser looked to get a score when he chipped and chased through well down the wing.

A penalty from Evans a minute later would square the match up but Chiefs would move back in front moments later when Maunder capitalised on the loose bouncing ball who found Olly Woodburn who then popped inside to Campagnaro to cross the line.

Slade added the extras but on the stroke of half-time, Evans would send over another penalty with the score 15-11 at the break of a frantic match of rugby.

The Londoners made the most of their growing momentum in the match moments in to the second half when Evans picked off a loose Ollie Devoto pass and had enough in the tank to dash over the line and move his side in front.

The pendulum would swing once more when the boot of Slade would punish Jamie Roberts' late hit with a penalty.

Campagnaro looked to break through with Harlequins looking for try number three but Joe Marchant held up his opposing centre well.

Trailing by just two points, Harlequins ramped up the pressure in Chiefs' 22 with phase after phase of attack however the home side would settle for a penalty to move back in front from the tee.

Moving in to the last 20 minutes with just a one point deficit, Chiefs would hit back when Lachie Turner chipped and chased down the wing, got past Evans and dotted down. With replacement Gareth Steenson sending over the conversion the score stood at 19-25 with 65 minutes on the clock.

Just four minutes later Chiefs would move further in front, get the bonus point and take the wind out of Harlequins' sail. Jack Maunder's box kick bobbled and with space around him, Slade picked the ball up with pace, darted through and went over.

Yarde continued to be a threat and broke through magnificently well in search of a grandstand finish only for his offload to Mike Brown to go forward.

With four minutes left on the clock and Harlequins looking to get back in to the match, Chiefs would get their fifth when Turner again kicked through on the break from a loose pass, collecting the ball and getting over the line. 

Harlequins would have the last say on the match, however, when Visser finished well in the corner.

Following the conclusion of the first match of Round 20 of the Aviva Premiership, the Londoners remain in sixth place.

Wasps are next up for John Kingston's men on Friday 28th April. Tickets for the match can be purchased online here or by calling 020 8410 6000