Match Reports

Harlequins reach Premiership Final after record comeback victory

Saturday, 19th June 2021 @ 13:30

Harlequins booked their place in the Premiership Final after a breathtaking comeback in one of the greatest Premiership matches ever seen.
Seemingly dead and buried at 28-0 down after just 28 minutes, Harlequins incredibly fought back and somehow won 43-36 in extra-time.
No Premiership Semi-Final has ever gone into extra-time. No team has ever come back from such a deficit. And yet Harlequins did both.
A place in the final seemed a distant dream for the 500 travelling Harlequins fans after seeing their team get swept up in a Charles Piutau-inspired Bristol storm.

James Chisholm
After Callum Sheedy kicked two penalties, the irresistible Piutau burst through before feeding Semi Radradra who found Ben Earl who touched down in the corner.

It was 16-0 five minutes later when Max Malins scored and the contest appeared over as Harlequins conceded two more tries in the space of five minutes.
First Nathan Hughes picked up at the back of the scrum and fed Malins to score. Then Radradra broke clear and combined with Malins to send Morahan through.
Staring down the barrel, Harlequins fought back and almost scored as Louis Lynagh expertly finished after taking Tyrone Green's pass. The TMO reviewed and saw Lynagh was just in touch.

Alex Dombrandt
Harlequins made amends with two minutes left in the half. Marcus Smith's high kick fell loose to Alex Dombrandt who stormed through from 45 metres out.

The revival continued after the break as Green smartly collected Danny Care's pass before twisting his way over to make the score 28-12.
The travelling support wondered if the miracle comeback was on eight minutes later when replacement James Chisholm picked up a loose ball and went over.
Twickenham Stadium was well and truly in sight when a short line-out saw Dombrandt charge through and send Lynagh into the corner.

James Chisholm
Bristol extended their lead to 31-24 with a Sheedy penalty but Quins marched on and, despite Lynagh having a second try chalked off for a forward pass, drew level with four minutes remaining.

In a sweeping move, Smith and Green combined to send Marchant in. Smith's conversion sent the match into extra-time at 31-all.
The drama continued when Green put Harlequins ahead for the first time, sidestepping Radradra to score his second of the match.
Malins replied in the second half of extra time with his third try but Harlequins were not to be denied as Marchant scored in the final seconds to send the travelling support delirious. 

Tyrone Green