Match Reports

Harlequins 'A' down 14-man Gloucester United

Monday, 19th September 2016 @ 22:00

Harlequins 'A' saw off Gloucester United, 22-8, thanks to tries from Joe Gray, Karl Dickson and Harry Hudson as well as the superb kicking of James Lang.

After going in at the break 17-3 down, Gloucester went down to 14 men after Lloyd Evans was shown the red card.

Despite being down to 14 the visitors would go on to score a try in the second half through Elliott Creed.

The difference in numbers began to take its toll on the match and Harlequins comfortably saw out the match.

Fresh from his professional debut against Exeter Chiefs,  Lang looked most likely to get Harlequins going in the opening exchanges.

The fly-half impressively dashed through three tackles just inside his own half to inject life into the Harlequins attack early on.

Dickson soon after sent a trademark box kick downfield which Ross Chisholm looked to latch on to, only for Gloucester to hold off the winger's dangerous-looking attack.  

Former member of Harlequins' Academy EPDG Nathan Thomas went off shortly after following a head injury and was replaced by Hudson; his fellow Rosslyn Park back rower.

Dickson's cheeky pick and go looked to have unlocked the Gloucester defence 20 minutes in but, despite making 20 metres on the opposition, his attack was thwarted by Mat Protheroe.

Lang then broke the deadline minutes after from the cone as he sent a penalty over from 35 metres.

After Lang sent a 50 metre kick into touch Harlequins managed to bundle over in a rolling maul from the line out, with Gray getting over the whitewash. To cap off a superb spell, Lang then sent over the two extras to give Harlequins a 10-0 lead.

Chisholm was then inches away from adding Harlequins' second try after latching onto Lang's grubber, but in wet conditions the ball slipped from his hands with an unmarked try line waiting.

After Gloucester were forced to collapse the scrum five metres out from their own try line, Harlequins then kicked for the corner to set up another drive almost identical to the one which resulted in the first try.

Gloucester then infringed at the breakdown and with a wide open gap metres out, Dickson went quickly with the tap and go and grabbed his team's second try of the match. Lang, again, sent over the conversion.

With seconds left of the first-half Gloucester finally got themselves on the scoresheet as Lloyd Evans sent over a penalty from 25 metres to bring the half to a close.

At the break, Harlequins looked comfortable both going forward and protecting their own ball.

Evans, who kicked Gloucester's sole points in the first half, was shown a red card ten minutes into the second period after an off-the-pitch altercation with fellow fly-half Lang.

Despite their numerical disadvantage it was Gloucester who got the next try after Creed bundled over metres from the line having gone through the phases. With the chance to reduce the deficit to seven points, fullback Protheroe then sliced the conversion attempt wide.

Harlequins hit back soon after as Matt Hopper's tap and go got the home side men over metres out leaving Hudson to get over the line for Harlequins' third try of the night. Deep on the right touchline, Lang would then miss his first kick of the match.

As the match wound down, Harlequins didn't fail to keep the intensity up and looked worthy winners as they professionally saw out the match.