Match Reports

Harlequins lose out in 11 try thriler

Saturday, 22nd October 2016 @ 18:10

An impressive second half performance from Harlequins was not enough as the Londoners lost out 36-35 to Edinburgh Rugby. 

Allan Dell, Blair Kinghorn, Nasi Manu, Hamish Watson, Damien Hoyland and Tom Brown all crossed over the line for the home side while Charlie Walker, Kyle Sinckler and Mat Luamanu scored for Harlequins with the addition of two penalty tries. 

It was Harlequins who struck first when Walker dived over after collecting Karl Dickson's offload on the inside. However within minutes Dell pegged Harlequins back after receiving Phil Burleigh's pop pass inside and dotted down. 

From a scrum 20 metres short of Harlequins try line, Edinburgh worked the ball wide out to Kinghorn who rounded the defence with ease to edge his side in front. Jason Tovey missed his first two conversion attempts and with 12 minutes played the scoreboard read 10-7.

Edinburgh broke from deep inside their own half for their third try, after an impressive chip and chase the ball eventually came to Nasi Manu who bundled over the line.By the 25th minute Edinburgh had the bonus point wrapped up when Hamish Watson dotted down after another impressive break from the home side as Edinburgh looked to build on their thumping win over Timisoara Saracens.

Despite being four tries to one down Harlequins continued to work hard and were potentially denied a perfectly legible try. Marland Yarde looked to have scored but after referee Romaine Poite went to the TMO it was judged that Dell had held the ball up.

Disappointment soon turned to joy when Harlequins were awarded a penalty try after Edinburgh repeatedly infringed in their own 22. As Harlequins looked to have closed the gap, it soon opened up again when Hoyland picked a loose Harlequins pass, ran almost the length of the field and scored under the posts. In the aftermath of the try both Walker and Tovey were sent to the sin bin.

At the break seven tries had been ran in and the score read 31-14.

Into the second half Harlequins certainly started the brighter of the two sides. Kyle Sinckler grabbed his side's third of the afternoon after Harlequins won the line out, set the maul, worked the ball through the phases and sent it wide to the tighthead prop. 

While Walker and Tovey remained on the sidelines, Joe Marler was also shown the yellow card as he was judged to take the man out in the air from a line out.

As Walker and Tovey both came back onto the pitch, Ben Toolis would go the opposite way as he was shown the fourth yellow of the afternoon.

As the momentum remained with Harlequins, they were awarded a second penalty try just short of the hour mark. As replacement Tim Swiel converted the try, the Londoners were three points short of Edinburgh; 31-28.

With 15 minutes to go Harlequins finally regained the lead. After enjoying a lengthy spell of possesion in Edinburgh's 22, replacement Luamanu scrambled over the line. With Swiel again sending over the conversion Harlequins had established a four point gap.

The home side looked to have hit back ten minutes from time but replacement Glenn Bryce's try was ruled out as Edinburgh appeared to have knocked-on.

Four minutes later, however, Edinburgh did score- this time through Brown .He collected the high ball metres out and bundled over the line under the tackle to edge his side one point in front.

Harlequins applied late pressure at the breakdown seconds from time, five metres out but after being turned over Tovey kicked the ball out to hand Edinburgh the five points.  

Despite the loss Harlequins did come away from the Scottish capital with two bonus points which leaves them second in Pool 5.

Attention for Harlequins now turns to the Aviva Premiership next week when they take on Worcester Warriors at The Stoop.