Match Reports

Saracens Storm rally to beat Harlequins ‘A’

Monday, 28th March 2016 @ 20:00

In a top of the table A League clash, reigning champions Saracens Storm came from behind to beat Harlequins ‘A’ 28-21 at Allianz Park.

A first half brace from Beau Robinson gave Quins a 10-14 lead at the break but a spirited fight back would see Saracens score twice in the second spell, with a Mat Luamanu consolation try coming too late for the visitors.

It had been almost three months since Harlequins A’s last match, when they faced their first blemish of the campaign, an 18-3 loss away to Exeter Braves. Having won four consecutive matches before that however they knew a win over Saracens Storm would be enough to seal a place in the ‘A’ League Southern final.

Beau Robinson got the visitors off to a great start scoring within five minutes from the back of an impressive rolling maul that covered thirty metres. Stand in fly-half Tito Tebaldi adding the extras.

Saracens Storm would strike back quickly through scrum-half Ben Spencer whose quick thinking following a scrum penalty saw him dart over. Spencer converted his own try to level the scores at 7-7 a piece after 10 minutes.

Both sides would have their chances but after half an hour the scores were still level. An electric Ross Chisholm break from deep inside his own half the highlight of a scoreless twenty minutes.

Spencer would give his side their first lead of the match with a penalty from right in front but Harlequins would strike back just before the break.

A head high tackle on halfway gave Harlequins a penalty and with the clock winding down Tebaldi opted to put it in the corner. The Aussie live wire Robinson would soon score his second, once again from the back of a clinical rolling maul. Tebaldi converted and Harlequins ‘A’ would head into the break leading 10-14.

The second half got off to a scratchy start with most of the opening quarter of an hour being played between the two ten metre lines.

Saracens Storm would retake the lead thanks to a Samuela Vunisa try and Spencer would convert from the sideline to make it 17-14.

The biggest talking point of the second forty would take place on the hour mark as Harlequins flanker Arche White would be shown a yellow card for a deliberate knock on. Spencer would then kick back-to-back penalties as Saracens Strom exploited their man advantage.

White would re-enter the fray but it was one-way traffic from the hosts. Anthony Maka going over to balloon the score to 28-14.

In the final few minutes Saracens would be shown a yellow card of their own, to Jack Culverhouse, and while Mat Luamanu would power over to score from the resulting lineout it was too little too late for the visititors.

The final score at Allianz Park 28-21 as Harlequins drop out of A League final contention.

The Harlequins senior squad return to The Stoop this Saturday 2nd April (kick-off 15:00) where they face Newcastle Falcons. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by clicking here.