Match Reports

Harlequins 'A' remain unbeaten following six try victory over Irish 'A'

Monday, 28th December 2015 @ 17:15

Harlequins continued their dominant run in Aviva ‘A’ League with an impressive 34-7 bonus point victory over London Irish ‘A’ at The Stoop.

Less than 24 hours after the nail biting match with Gloucester Rugby at Twickenham Stadium in Big Game 8, The Stoop crowd were treated to an expansive and fast game dominated by the hosts.

The Harlequins forward pack provided an excellent platform for Beau Robinson, Robbie Nairn, Archie White and Tito Tebaldi to score, with Charlie Walker securing a brace.

It was a chilly bank holiday afternoon, but the conditions were perfect for Harlequins’ expansive style of play.

Owen Evans made an early midfield break which resulted in a Harlequins penalty and the positioning from this allowed Harlequins to pressure London Irish in their 22.


Forcing another penalty, Harlequins’ strong forward pack drove over the line from short range. Recent signing Beau Robinson popped up with the ball but Swiel was unable to convert.

Harlequins were gifted a penalty from the restart as London Irish were ahead of the kicker. This allowed the hosts to camp deep within Irish territory. Irish eventually regathered possession, but their inaccuracy at finding touch was exposed by the impressive Walker.

An Irish clearing kick was gathered by scrum-half Tito Tebaldi who immediately passed to Walker. The winger danced his way around three defenders from halfway to score in the left corner giving Harlequins a ten nil lead after 20 minutes.

Harlequins’ third try came just five minutes later, again in the left corner, but by right winger Robbie Nairn. From a lineout on halfway the Academy winger looped to his opposing wing, broke through the line of defence and finished well.

Stan South came close to securing Harlequins’ bonus point try, but he was held short of the line following some exciting and fast play from Harlequins.

The bonus point score eventually came right on half time as Swiel and Walker impressively linked up. Exposing the rushed Irish defence, Swiel’s delicate chip found the hands of Walker to gather and score. With the conversion added, Harlequins led 22-0 at the break.

Starting the second half in near perfect fashion, Archie White scored the fifth try. Attacking in the London Irish 22, Swiel’s half break exposed the Irish defence. The ball was shipped to the left and Walker turned provider, grubbering the ball through for Archie White to touch down in goal. This gave Harlequins an impressive 27-0 lead.

Playing with confidence and continually showing ambition to play from deep, Sam Aspland-Robinson stormed up field and was eventually hauled down just shy of the Irish 22.


The Irish defence was impressive in keeping Harlequins out for the most part, but the hosts remained patient and as the hour mark passed, Tito Tebaldi exposed a gap within the 22 to score. Swiel’s conversion extended the lead to 34-0.

London Irish had the last say of the match however as number 8 David Sisi barrelled his way over the line form short range on 78 minutes. It was a deserved consolation score following some impressive and patient play by the visitors.