Match Reports

Harlequins score five in win over Worcester

Saturday, 29th October 2016 @ 15:00

Harlequins moved into the top half of the Aviva Premiership table with a convincing 36-14 win over Worcester Warriors at The Stoop.

A back and forth first half was locked at 7-7 as converted tries to Danny Care and Jackson Willison, within the first ten minutes, were the only scores of the half.

In the second spell the home side came out hungry and quick tries to James Horwill and Mike Brown gave them a comfortable lead before Joe Marchant and Tim Visser capped the match off late.


Earlier, Harlequins had returned to the Aviva Premiership after an up and down fortnight in Europe where they scored 12 tries in two matches but also conceded nine.

A similar outcome looked to be on the cards early as Harlequins and Worcester scored a try a piece in the opening eight minutes.

A trademark Tim Visser intercept set up Danny Care for the first before Care’s England teammate Ben Te’o put Jackson Willison over for the equaliser minutes later.

These would be the only tries of the half however as a back and forth half hour produced moments of magic but nothing to move the scoreboard.

For the home side it was young centre Joe Marchant who shined as his fancy footwork caused the opposition trouble on the pitch.

With 11 minutes to play in the half Joe Marler was shown a yellow card for repeated infringements from his side but great work at the set-piece, in this case a line out steal, continued to get them out of trouble as they managed to keep Worcester scoreless and go into the break at 7-7.

A tight match turned at half-time as Harlequins fired out of the blocks in the second spell.

Within minutes James Horwill powered over after extended phase play saw the majority of the team touch the ball.


Only a few minutes later Mike Brown skipped through the defence from 20 metres out to extend the lead further, Evans adding the extras for a 21-14 lead.

While Worcester struck back via a Te'o try it always felt like Harlequins were in control. Worcester did manage territory on a few occasions but they never threatened the try line.

On the hour mark three penalties in quick succession allowed Evans to extend the lead to 24-14 before a second intercept try put the match out of reach, this time thanks to Marchant racing 80 metres across field to score.

The crowd were brought to their feet twice more in the final ten minutes, first when Marchant was replaced by Alofa Alofa and second when Mark Lambert took the field. The one club man earning his 200th cap for Harlequins.


With the clock winding down Tim Visser twice went over though the first was denied for obstruction in the build up. The second time however, the final play of the game, the Scotsman was awarded the try after an Alofa break. Tim Swiel capping off the 36-14 victory with a conversion.

Harlequins move up to the top half of the Premiership table (with matches still to be played this weekend) but they now move on to the Anglo-Welsh Cup. Firstly with a match Exeter Chiefs at The Stoop in seven days time before an away trip to Ospreys the following week.

Tickets for the home match are on sale now and can be purchased by clicking here.