Tuesday, 4th February 2020 @ 12:31
Find out more about our link with Gordon's School
The Diploma in Sporting Excellence (DiSE) programme is designed to meet the needs of young people, aged between 16 and 18, who have the potential to achieve excellence in rugby while pursuing an outstanding education at the same time.
The scheme operates across a range of sports and is currently running in all 12 Gallagher Premiership Rugby Academies in partnership with established local education providers.
The aim of the DiSE partnership between Harlequins and Gordon's School is to continually identify, recruit and develop talented young rugby players and bring them through the School and Academy programmes towards a professional contract and the senior squad.
What are the benefits of this programme to young people?
- Players are allowed to work within the optimum environment to realise their sporting and academic potential.
- They are concentrated in a local school so that they have their education together, train and play together, encouraging motivation and team spirit.
- Outstanding government-funded educational provision.
- High quality and relevant curriculum incorporating vocational and academic qualifications.
- A rugby programme that is managed and delivered by high quality coaches and staff at both Gordon's school and Harlequins.
- Top quality training and playing facilities.
- Outstanding Strength and Conditioning facilities, following individualised training programmes set by Harlequins S&C staff.
- Minimum of 12 rugby-related hours a week, two terms of rugby competition and a summer term of rugby development.
- Access to the best of off-field support from Harlequins and school medical, physiotherapy and sports therapy professionals.
- Exposure to a highly competitive environment in which to test themselves (the AASE League is the highest standard of schoolboy rugby available).
- The best opportunity of progression towards the professional game and International age-grade representative sides.
- Access to a viable State School alternative to the traditional independent school sports scholarship for 16-19-year-olds.
- Players can, if necessary, take advantage of the school's boarding facilities.
- Those players not securing a professional contract are guided to alternative Higher Education pathways.
If you have more questions about the DiSE rugby programme being delivered by Harlequins and Gordons School please visit the Gordon's School website or contact Director of Rugby, Chris Davies.